ECTS credits: 4
This course is dedicated to
- The analysis of phase diagrams describing the state of a material according to the temperature and composition,
- The description of the usual microstructures and the link with the mechanical properties of materials.
On completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Link phase diagrams to real microstructures
- Link microstructures to mechanical properties
- Carry out usual heat treatments on materials and measure their mechanical properties
- Phase diagrams
- What is the use of phase diagrams?
- What are the underlying theories?
- Phase diagrams for pure metals
- What information can be obtained from a phase diagram: an example of the Ag-Au diagram
- The different phase diagram and the microstructure associated
- The most widely used one: Fe-C diagram
- Did you say “non-equilibrium” phases?
- How can we control the mechanical properties of a material?
- The defects in metals
- Movements of dislocations
- Hardening mechanism and practical applications